Manual Transmission, Clutch Repair and Replacement
If you choose to drive a car with a manual transmission, it will provide you with unbeatable control over the performance and power of your vehicle. How will you know when your car requires the clutch to be repaired? If you see these signs that follow, it may be time for clutch replacement, clutch repair, or some other car repair:
- When you push your clutch pedal down to the floor, you hear any grinding sounds.
- When you depress the clutch pedal, it should grab close to the top, and the take off should be smooth. If it jerks or chatters, you should have it inspected.
- If you smell a burning, acrid smell, your clutch may be burning and need repair.
- If your engine suddenly revs up when you’re already moving and speeding up, that may be another sign for clutch replacement.
To help you keep your car in peak driving shape, below are some tips for maintaining a manual transmission.
- Use the Clutch Carefully
For example, while it may be tempting to engage the clutch only part of the way when you are shifting, you should always make sure to press the clutch all the way down to the floor. Fully engaging the clutch will help to prevent shifting problems in the future.
- Avoid Engine Braking
Engine braking is a driving technique that uses the gears of the transmission to slow the vehicle. In order to preserve the lifespan of your manual transmission, you should be sure to avoid engine braking whenever possible. When you engine brake, you can cause excessive wear and strain on your gears. Instead, you should always use the brake pedal when you need to slow or stop your vehicle.
- Schedule Routine Tune Ups
Another way to maintain your manual transmission is to schedule routine tune ups with AutoTec. By bringing your vehicle in for routine transmission maintenance, you can make sure that the clutch and gears are in smooth operating condition. With these simple steps, you can go a long way towards keeping your manual transmission running smoothly for years to come.
We are dedicated to the members of our community here in Campbell, CA. Dependable vehicles make for happy drivers, and we’re in the business of putting happy drivers on the road. Contact us if you think your clutch needs to be inspected.